The NMC in the UK once again lowers the level of English requirements for registration to practice as a nurse, this time for the OET test.
Good news for all nurses who wish to work in the UK! The NMC governing council has confirmed that it amend the required score for the Writing paper of the OET test, from Grade B to C +. The score for Reading, Speaking and Listening will remain Grade B.
From January 28, 2020, the Nursing and Midwifery Council in the UK (NMC) will accept OET English certificates with a C+ score in the written part.
Until now, this type of test was accepted with a minimum of grade B in each part of the test but after the agreement reached on November 27, 2019, the requirement in the written part will be reduced.
Currently, the NMC accepts two types of English certificates to demonstrate the level in this language and be able to enroll as a nurse: the International English Language Test System (IELTS, Academic version) and the Occupational English Test (OET).
These certificates are valid for two years and with the approved changes they must have the following minimum score required to be accepted:
International English Language Test System (IELTS)
- Average of 7.
- Minimum of 6.5 in Writing (change approved on December 5, 2018).
- Minimum of 7 Listening, Reading and Speaking.
- Combined tests: two tests can be combined if they have been carried out within six months and the four parts have been examined on both occasions. It is also required to have obtained a minimum of 6.5 in each part to be able to combine them. The combination must result in a minimum of 6.5 in Writing and a minimum of 7 in the rest, or a higher level.
Occupational English Test (OET)
- Minimum Grade B in all parts of the test.
- Combined tests: two tests can be combined if they have been carried out within six months and the four parts have been examined on both occasions. It is also required to have obtained a minimum of Grade C + in each part of the two tests in order to combine them. The combination must result in Grade B or higher in all four parts.
- The NMC will request permission to verify the result through the OET profile of the candidate requesting registration. Here you can see how to do it.