Registration as a Healthcare Professional
in UK

To work as any healthcare professional it is required to be registered in the country of destination.

If you are thinking of working as a health professional in the UK and you have doubts about how the registration system works in that country, below we give you information and details about the steps to get registered.

Which council regulates the process of registration of healthcare personnel in the UK?

The HCPC (Health and Care Professions Council) is the official organization that regulates the registrationl as a healthcare professional in the United Kingdom. The application or Application pack can be downloaded here.

The 16 professions related to healthcare that regulates the HCPC

  • Art therapy.
  • Biomedical scientists.
  • Podiatrists.
  • Clinical scientists.
  • Nutritionists.
  • Occupational Therapists.
  • Operating Department Practitioners.
  • Orthopedist.
  • Paramedics.
  • Physiotherapists.
  • Psychologists.
  • Clinical audiologists.
  • X-ray technician.
  • Social Workers.
  • Speech therapists.
  • Dental technician.

How I have to make the application form for the registration?

It will be necessary to choose the appropriate registration route, according to nationality and place where you have obtained the title.

Who has EMR rights or European Mutual Recognition?

  • Citizens of EU countries, of member countries of the EEA or of Switzerland or someone treated as such (ex.: being husband/wife of one of those citizens).
  • Persons who have received full training in one of those countries or who have worked there for at least one year in the last 10 years.
  • People with recognized degrees in the UK and who have worked there for at least 3 years.

In case you have EMR rights you must complete the European Mutual Recognition application form. It will be reviewed and evaluated.

Do you want more information?
Leave us your email and we will send you the complete information of how making the registration.

What level of English will I need to demonstrate in order to register with the HCPC?

Everyone registering in the HCPC must communicate at the established level of English. Citizens of countries belonging to the EU will not need to test these levels unless they are requesting registration for speech therapist

Speech and language therapists must present a certificate of English level, unless this is their first language.

To certify the English levels, the HCPC will only accept the following tests:

  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with an average of 8 and a minimum of 7.5 in each part of the test.
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) Internet Based Test (IBT): minimum score of 118/120.

The English level tests will be valid for 2 years after obtaining them.

Who can use the European Professional Card (EPC)?

Physiotherapists with EMR rights can request registration with the European Professional Card.

From 18 of January 2016 physiotherapists established in EEA or Switzerland who wish to establish themselves in a different European country and work as health professionals can request the homologation of the degree using the EPC (European Professional Card).

The EPC is an electronic system used to obtain professional rights and recognition of qualifications (it is not a physical card). The registration must be made on the website of the country of origin (where you have studied/born). Information to apply.

Relevant certified documents must be uploaded, which will then be used for job changes in the future.

To avoid the denial of the application visit the website with information.

Documentation that must be presented

  • Degree certificate.
  • Duration and content of the training.
  • Certificate of Good Standing.
  • Evidence of professional experience.
  • Proof of nationality/identity card (passport).

Cost of the EPC application process: £ 220 once accepted. Payment will be communicated via email. Payment is made online.

Annual fee of £ 90. It covers two years of registration and the certificate and registration number can not be used until payment has been made.

The application form of the route “European Mutual Recognition” (EMR) is available for physiotherapists with rights.

More information.

How is the payment of fees and renewal of registration made in the HCPC?

The renewal fees are £ 180 for two years. If it is not renewed after one month of expiration, a re-admission fee of £ 225 will have to be paid, which will include the first year of registration.

Rates for international and EEA applications have increased to £ 495.

Due to the health crisis caused by COVID-19, this service is suspended until it can develop normally.


[Form Colegiarse_Profesional_Salud_Inglaterra_EN not found!]