What is the Ireland PPS Number? Use and how to apply.
The Personal Public Service Number (PPS number) is a unique reference number that helps people access social welfare benefits, public services and information in Ireland. It is similar to Social Security number in Spain. Only the Department of Social Protection can provide you with a Personal Public Service Number (the Revenue and Social Insurance or RSI in the past).
The PPS Number is always 7 numbers followed by either one or two letters.
Using the Personal Public Service Number
You can use your PPS number for:
- All social welfare services
- The Free Travel Pass
- Pupil ID
- Public health services, including the medical cardand the Drugs Payment Scheme
- Child immunisation
- Schemes run by the Revenue Commissioners, such as mortgage interest relief
- Housing grants
- Driver Theory Testingand driver licences.
Who can apply for the PPS Number?
Any person who wants to study or work in Ireland.
When can I apply for the number?
If you want to apply for a PPS Number, you must be living in Ireland.
What can I do before moving to Ireland?
It is difficult to deal with this proccess without having evidence of address in the country but you could make ready some documents and appointments in advance:
- Ask your employer for the contract, offer letter or any other document in which you have evidence of your job. You have to inform them the reason why you need it (for the PPS Number).
- A property lease or tenancy agreement document. A household utility bill will be valid also.
- An appointment with a PPS Number Office if you have housing or accommodation and you know the date of arrival.
Where and how to apply the PPS Number?
You can find here a list of centres depending on the place you are going to live in:
You should contact the registration centre to check if an appointment is required.
What kind of documents do we need to apply for the PPS Number?
To get a PPS number, you will need to fill out an application form in the PPS number centre, provide evidence of your identity and evidence of why you need a PPS number allocated. You must also provide proof of your address. The following documents will be valid for you:
- A household utility bill
- An official letter/document
- A financial statement
- Property lease or tenancy agreement
- Confirmation of address by a third party such as a school principal/administrator, accommodation/property owner*or manager.
- Your current passport as identity document
*If you are staying with friends or relatives an original household bill plus a note from the bill holder confirming your residency at the bill address is acceptable. This note can be written on the bill itself.
What happens if you do not have the PPS Number when starting work?
If you do not have the PPS Number before starting work you will have a retention taxes named emergency taxes (an important part of your salary). As soon as you achieve the PPS Number you could claim this amount of money back.
Can I apply for a PPS Number online?
If you want to get a PPS number or to be registered for a Public Services Card, you can now make an appointment online at mywelfare.ie.
You will first need to register with the site. To do this you need a mobile phone number and two email addresses (a main address and an alternate address).
When you have made your appointment, print the notification and bring it to your appointment along with the required documents (listed in the notification).
Change of address
If you change your address you should write to the Department of Social Protection at the address below giving your name, PPS number, old and new address and evidence of your new address such as a utility bill. The Department will then update your record.
Client Identity Services
Department of Social Protection
More information: http://www.citizensinformation.ie
More information about documents post interview: Jobs Agency FM Blog.