What is the Garda Vetting ?
The Garda vetting is a enquiry about criminal records for people working with children or vulnerable adults. It is carried out by the Garda Síochána National Vetting Bureau (formerly Garda Central Vetting Unit).
Vetting is not done for individuals on a personal basis and the Bureau carries out vetting for relevant organisations.
A vetting disclosure will include details of all convictions and pending prosecutions and a statement of specified information (if any) or a statement that there is no criminal record or specified information relating to the person being vetted.
Who must be vetted?
The work or activities where people working will require vetting include health staff:
- Childcare services
- Hospitals and health services
- Residential services or accommodation for children or vulnerable persons
- Treatment, therapy or counselling services for children or vulnerable persons
- Provision of leisure, sporting or physical activities to children or vulnerable persons
In health staff cases, Hospital or different sanitary centres are in charge of the neccesary Garda application form and identity documents.
What types of identity documents must you submit?
- photocopy of your current Passport
- photocopy driver license
- photocopy of birth certificate
- employment cards
- an official letter for your manager
- other documents (a household utility bill, a public services card)
The e-Vetting procedure:
- You will be sent a vetting invitation form by the registered organisation where you are applying for a position. You must complete the form and return to the organisation together with proof of your identity.
- The organisation will validate your proof of identity and send you an email with a link to the vetting application form.
- You complete the vetting application form online and submit it to the organisation.
- The organisation reviews your vetting application form and submits it to the National Vetting Bureau.
- The National Vetting Bureau processes the application and sends a vetting disclosure to the organisation.
- The organisation reviews the disclosure and will send you a copy of it.
You can track your e-Vetting application.
Office to apply for vetting Garda:
National Vetting Bureau
More information about documents for working in Ireland: Jobs Agency FM Blog.